2021 has been an interesting and challenging year. On one hand, we’re still dealing with the COVID pandemic and can’t forget that 773,000 Americans and more than 5 million people have died worldwide from this disease. It’s not yet over! On the other, our country is experiencing a tremendous economic resurgence with increasing wages, low unemployment and GDP growth. Inflation is a problem which can hopefully be controlled and managed.
2021 has seen the return of major events and gatherings and our American democracy is still intact despite challenges from within.
Our golf industry has experienced a resurgence during the past year and a half and it was nice to see colleagues at the first in-person event in a while with positive outlooks on the future of the game and participation which fuels the economics of golf. Specifically, I’m thankful for the following 21 things (among others):
- As always, I’m thankful for my wonderful wife Judy & family and their love. If I had nothing else they alone would make me a most fortunate man – 34 years and I’ve still got her fooled;
- I’m thankful that my grandson Orsen, who turned 1 just the other day is healthy, happy and growing strong;
- I’m thankful that Max and Deborah are becoming the parents we all hope to be and enjoying the experience;
- I’m thankful that our daughter Ali is nearing graduation from law school and beginning to see the opportunities the world has to offer to follow her dreams;
- I’m thankful that Jack has evolved into a true professional journalist with a solid commitment to ethics and creativity that will help him achieve great things;
- I’m especially thankful to have watched our kids grow into mensches who have developed the skills to adapt in an ever-changing world;
- I’m thankful for our continued good health and safety;
- I’m thankful that Judy and I have been able to “be there” for friends and family confronting various health challenges;
- I’m thankful that we’ve been able to help others not as fortunate as we are;
- I’m thankful for the COVID vaccines which have provided protection for those of us who’ve taken advantage;
- I’m thankful for the great variety of interesting clients and assignments we’ve been entrusted with this year;
- I’m thankful that we’ve been able to gather more with friends and family this year and share life’s experiences;
- I’m thankful for the ability to be active, play golf, exercise and compete;
- I’m thankful that our country is finally investing in its infrastructure so our kids and grandkids will have the benefits of a modern society;
- I’m thankful that we live in a country that encourages civil discourse and expression:
- I’m thankful that after 40+ years I still love my job;
- I’m thankful that I finally finished my book “The Culture of Golf – Isn’t it Just a Game”;
- I’m thankful that this Thanksgiving, the weather forecast calls for mild temperatures which might allow some golf;
- I’m thankful for our 3 awesome dogs, Camryn, Arnie and Millie who are always excited to see me come home;
- I’m thankful for the food on my table and my wife’s AWESOME cooking;
- I’m thankful for the opportunity work with great people, have great friends and to learn something new every day.